Saturday, April 21, 2012

Saturday utility: trail run, library–REI–library

Early morning today I rode my bar bike to the nearby Phoenix Mountain Preserve trailhead at Peoria and 7th Ave to practice trail running in preparation of my upcoming sub-1hr challenge with faithful reader Bobby and the Presidents.

Then, after returning home and waiting a few hours for the temperature to rise to about 100°F, I set out on my touring bike to do the rest of the day's errands. First I returned a couple DVDs to the local library branch, Cholla. Then I biked to REI to return a pair of shoes. Yes, this is the second pair of shoes I've returned this month.

My last errand was to pick up a book I had reserved at the Desert Broom library branch, which is on Cave Creek Rd north of Dynamite. It turns out there's a bike path that runs from Sweetwater and the 51, which is one mile west of the REI in Paradise Valley, to Cave Creek just north of Pinnacle Peak, which is a few miles south of the Desert Broom library branch. I hadn't ever taken this path the whole way, so this last errand entailed me doing some exploring.

On the way back I stopped to eat a pair of burritos and tried to reconcile myself to the fact that Phoenix still has three months to go of increasing temperatures, statistically.


Today was especially clear. Given a good enough vantage point, you could see all the mountains surrounding the valley. Pictured here: Piestewa Peak, as seen from the AC–DC path.

The Desert Broom library branch is a handsome, though small, facility. Like all other Phoenix library branches, excluding the central branch, Desert Broom is named after a native desert plant.

Unlike other library branches, Desert Broom is part of a rattlesnake crossing.

90km for the day, 4 tasks completed.

2 comments:

Bobby and the Presidents said...

JEC: Very impressed to hear you've gotten in some specific training/familiarization -- nice work, also glad to hear that statistically we could see new high temps any day!

Craig Brandenburg said...

Bobby et al.— Sorry, I'm not going to be in good running for our sub-1hr challenge. I hope all my biking will allow me to fake it. It's only 59 minutes, 59 seconds of pain—or less.