Tuesday, April 7, 2009

What are the odds?

Take a full bag of Scrabble tiles and draw seven. There's a 1 in 1,736,031 chance that you'll be able to play BICYCLE.

There's a 1 in 281,496 chance that you'll be able to play VEHICLE.

And a 1 in 138,064 chance for COLLIDE.

Some days you get all three.

My no-crash streak ended early this morning at a whopping two days. Though I wasn't thinking of this fact as I was flipped onto the hood of a truck -- or was it an SUV? -- that had veered onto my side of the road this morning as I was coasting down one of those mini-switchbacks on the south side of Camelback Mountain. Instead I was thinking something along the lines of whether my front wheel would be shaped like a taco after suffering a direct impact into a bumper.

Short answer: no.

Miraculously I got up without a scratch.

There's a 1 in 179,452 chance for NOTHURT.

Not so miraculously my bike was fine too.

There's a 1 in 282,883 chance for I♡STEEL, though you must have a blank for that last one.

4 comments:

amckenny said...

Hey Craig,

Glad to hear you and your bike made it through unscathed.

Aaron

Anonymous said...

...watch out for that tree!

Diamond Girl said...

But what are the odds of getting BORZOIS?? That's the important question.

Oh, and thank you for not dying! I like you much better alive. Now stop crashing or I'll kill you.

Jonathan said...

Craig:

My name is Jonathan and I work with Macy. She mentioned that you recently converted to commuting entirely by bicycle and I think that's fantastic :)

I'm interested in working toward the same goal, but I seem to be struggling with it. Would you be willing to answer a few questions I have about your transition?

~Jonathan (yourfriendjp@gmail.com)