Saturday, April 4, 2009

Goodbye, friend

Today I say goodbye to a dear friend, my favorite bicycle jersey, a bright yellow Pearl Izumi long-sleeve jersey. Although our relationship was a short one, it was an endearing one. And today I killed it.

First, a photo. This was the day I and the jersey were first introduced to each other in person. Here's me and my Mom, Christmas day, 2008. I just opened the package I had had shipped to my parents' house. Surprise! It's a yellow jersey, some tights and other bike stuff I ordered on-line.
(Team Brandenburg-Means exchanged no gifts this year for Christmas -- a notable achievement. Well, almost. Team Brandenburg exchanged no gifts; Team Means succumbed to consumer temptation. I suppose you could say I succumbed and exchanged a gift with myself by ordering the bike stuff. Forgive me, oh gods of cynicism.)

From the start I knew this jersey was better than any other I had. It fit snugly. It breathed well, and yet it stayed warm on cooler days. It was really amazingly super bright yellow and couldn't be ignored except by the most inattentive of motorists.

I wore the jersey in Houston while cross-training for the half marathon. I wore it on the Casa Grande century ride. I wore it on several Tuesday and/or Thursday morning rides. I wore it on Saturday or Sunday if it was still clean enough. And I rode it one last time today in El Tour de Phoenix.

My sweat you wick
Through air, so quick.
You ate asphalt --
My sudden halt.

In loving memory, Pearl Izumi jersey,
2008-2009.

2 comments:

Diamond Girl said...

When I asked you about your injuries, you neglected to tell me about this death. I am so sorry for your loss! My deepest sympathy.

L said...

I find it amusing that someone who is so against materialism seems to have put more value on his shirt than his own body.