Saturday, February 14, 2009

Female Fashions

Sometimes I think that a fashion trend is that which is so ugly it must be discarded and redefined every few years. In truth, at any given time there are many popular fashions that I like and many that I don't. These days I happen to like a lot of the ones I observe, and today I wish to share my thoughts on a few that I especially like.

bare arms and shoulders

The allure of a woman's body lies in its soft, gentle curves: the swell from the lower back to the hips, the slope from the clavicle to the breast, the supple fullness of the thigh, and so on. What too often is left out of the list, though, is the roundedness of the shoulders.

A woman will expose a little more leg or a little more cleavage, and there's a general idea that this is a big deal, as if sex appeal can be reduced to one or two body parts. It can't. It's a package deal, and the arms and shoulders add to it by accentuating the femininity of her whole figure below.

These days women are often exposing arms and shoulders in their entirety, from wrists all the way up to the shoulder strap of some clingy top, and doing so without much afterthought. And for this I consider us beholders all the luckier.

clingy tops

And this brings me to clingy tops. If I consider a woman's appeal to be greater than the sum of individual body parts then it makes sense that I prefer fashions that hide less of her figure. Nothing hides a figure like loose or busy fabric, and so one of my favorite casual looks for women is the solid-color clingy top. Of course it shows off the breasts, but what's more important is that it shows off everything else: the shoulders, as mentioned above; the narrowing of the waist; and the unique swell of her abdomen.

Clingy clothes in general have been in vogue for a while now, and I am not at all tiring of the trend. For once you will hear me exclaim with complete honesty: let's maintain the status quo!

long, straight hair

What do I hope to see when the beautiful bare-shoulder, clingy-top-wearing object of my gaze turns away? I hope to see, gently cascading down her upper back, locks of lovely straight hair.

Women these days are expending so much effort dyeing their hair blond -- at least here in the Valley -- that it has stifled their otherwise indomitable willingness to fuss around with their mane by styling it this way or that. For this I am pleased. I'm not terribly excited about fake blondes, although I will admit they turn my head like they do most guys', but if a woman insists on spending time on her hair, mucking it up, then dyeing is the most innocuous of things she can do.

No comments: