Thursday, November 6, 2008

Simplicitism: defined

I struggled for many years with the question of what to call my lifestyle of owning few things. The mainstream calls it minimalism, yet I find the term lacking. The first problem is that the term historically applies to a style of art and architecture, not a way of life. Another problem is that the term is literally untrue except in the case of the most miserable of people. Minimalists own a great many things that are not strictly necessary. A more fitting term would be optimism -- the act of optimizing one's relationship to the external world -- if the term were not already defined to mean insanity.

The greatest problem with the term minimalism is that the term misses the point of the lifestyle; a minimalist is as such as a means to achieving some Good. Some minimalists are devoted to minimizing their negative impact on the environment. Some minimalists seek to attain greater spirituality or purity. And there are other reasons. Grouping these philosophies together as a one leaves much to be desired.

I once was intrigued with the term asceticism, but the problem with that term is that it implies a voluntary withdrawal from food and sex, and I certainly don't withdraw from food and my withdrawal from sex is decidedly involuntary.

The most fitting term I've yet encountered is simplicitism. The term captures the destination and the way. I seek to live simply.

No comments: