Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Critic

Craig is at home. He sits at his laptop and begins a new blog entry -- some sort of drivel on the duality of adaptation versus customization -- when he is startled by a knock at the door. He gets up and opens it. Standing before him is a nondescript man who introduces himself as The Critic and asks to come inside.

Craig: No, why? What do you want?

The Critic: I want to talk to you about that drivel you're about to write on adaptation versus customization.

Craig: What? How do you know what I'm writing?

The Critic: May I come in?

Craig pauses to consider before moving to unblock entry into his apartment, and The Critic enters.

Craig: Have a seat.

The Critic looks around the empty apartment, and, seeing nothing conventional on which to sit, sits atop the Schwinn resting against the wall.

The Critic: I don't recall you writing about this bike on your blog, although I do recall you hinting at it.

Craig: I will, I will. I just got the photos.

Craig returns to the floor near where his laptop lies, beckoning with the blinking cursor of its open editor session.

The Critic: Why do you insist on using a Unix text editor to write these blog entries? And why do you continue to use that silly keyboard layout?

Craig: Dvorak? It's superior to Qwerty. I intend to blog about it someday. And Vim too.

The Critic: Good grief. Are you that detached from your audience?

Craig: What? No. What are you saying? I get plenty of positive feedback.

The Critic: Perhaps your friends and family are just polite people.

Craig: I thought you said you wanted to talk about adaptation versus customization?

The Critic: No, I want to talk about your blog entry about adaptation versus customization.

Craig: What about it?

The Critic: Don't write it.

Craig: Why not?

The Critic: It's garbage.

Craig: How do you know? You can't know what's in it. It's not written yet.

The Critic: Right, I don't know what's in it. I know only that these philosophical, uh, treatises of yours are awful. They're dry and humorless, and they're not particularly insightful.

Craig: What about inciteful?

The Critic groans.

The Critic: By the way, please stop trying to be clever.

Craig: But it's my blog!

The Critic: And you ought to be more mindful of your audience. Let's see, for example, quote, I'm not so sure I like this one all that much, end quote. This is a direct quote from your latest entry, and you're referring to your own writing. Maybe you shouldn't have published it in that case, hmm? How terrible, publishing such self-deprecation. Your mother reads this, you know. If you want to rid yourself of your readership like you've ridded yourself of so many other things in order to have, quote, less stuff to worry about, end quote, then you could simply start a new blog under a new name and not tell anyone about it.

Craig: No, no, I like having a readership.

The Critic: That last entry, which, by the way, I must say was far too much rambling, was tripe, through and through. None of your readers are cyclists, and they don't care what the Tour de Camel is, not that you gave any real meaningful description.

Craig: But it wasn't my main point.

The Critic: And what was your main point? The whole thing was terribly vague and uninspired.

Craig: What! Do you read my email?

The Critic: What?

Craig: Never mind.

The Critic: You used so many words to say nothing. You could have just written: I went for a bike ride. My head is still in a jumble despite whatever I may say to the contrary. That would have been just enough rambling.

Craig: That's a little mean to say that, I think.

The Critic: Look, I agree that it's a noble goal to write about topics that raise existential questions among your readers. But the question you're actually raising among your readers is whether they'd be better off spending their time not reading your blog.

Craig: That hurts.

The Critic: You're establishing a history of this stuff. I still don't understand the point of your essay on stoicism and epicureanism. It reads like a cross between op-ed and a bs-ed college essay.

Craig: Okay, I admit that one wasn't very good. I figured I would push it out and return to the topic later if needed.

The Critic: Please don't. And no more code dumps. That one on the Rubik's cube simulator was totally irrelevant.

Craig: I just wanted to share. No one has to read it.

The Critic: Don't worry; no one did. Uncool thoughts? These titles of yours are rather more annoying than clever.

Craig: You already criticized me for cleverness.

The Critic: Hmm... the one about introducing yourself as like the list was pretty good.

Craig: Really?

The Critic: Yeah, because it was short. What's with the pictures taken using your cheap phone camera? They're hideous even if they're of a cute dog and a green blob that I take to be a frog. No more phone camera photos.

Craig: Okay, okay.

The Critic: Let's not forget writing about the caveman test when you already wrote about it only last month if not by name. At least have the common decency to use consistent terminology. Are you already forgetting the stuff you've published?

Craig: Yeah, my mistake.

The Critic: I want to tell you to stop copping out by merely posting a link to others' blogs rather than writing your own observations, but maybe that isn't such a bad thing.

Craig: Now that's unfair.

The Critic: The jury summons one was good.

Craig: And?

The Critic: It was good.

An uncomfortable silence ensues. The Critic then stands, stretches, and excuses himself and exits the apartment. Craig sets about returning to writing when there is another knock on the door. Craig answers it expecting The Critic, perhaps for one last quip or maybe because The Critic accidentally left behind his nondescript wallet, and is surprised by the appearance of an unknown man standing before him.

Craig: Who are you?

The Censor: I'm The Censor. I'd like to talk to you about your blog and its display of excessive narcissism and delusional self-importance. May I come in?

5 comments:

Diamond Girl said...

Hilarious!

I'm wondering though, is the critic short, blond and female or does he just follow me around and steal thoughts from my head?

Though I like your clever headings...the critic is too critical. And I liked the jumbled thoughts on a bike post! I admit I did not make it through the Rubik's cube code dump. You should really just ask Laura how to solve it...she'll help you.

As for publishing posts you don't really like, I agree that you shouldn't "wait for perfection in explaining it" . Publish what you got - rewrite it later if you want to. If you wait for perfection you might as well shut down the blog cuz you'll never get it and then your faithful fans...errr....I won't have anything to read.

And I say MORE cheap camera pictures. You're so brainy and those of us not quite as brainy need pretty, shiny things to keep our attention.

Rachel Means said...

What?! You don't use a QWERTY keyboard?! Fascinating - move that blog up to the top of the "to do" list!

L said...

Craig, in my continuous efforts to avoid school work, I decided to give your blog another shot. I have come to the conclusion that your excessive bike riding has somehow warped your brain chemistry leading to your insane imagination and thought process. But yes, I will show you how to solve the Rubik's cube anytime you'd like.

Silverfunk said...

Ouch, I knew you were self deprecating Craig but that hurts me and it was about you. Though it was also by you so...I don't really know what to think about that. At any rate you are certainly a person who can take a punch even if it's from yourself.

Don't be so hard on yourself though. The one thing you didn't mention in this posting was who is this blog written for: yourself or your readers. If the former than screw the critic. Write what you want if people want to read it then they will. If the latter well then maybe the critic has a point. In the end it really is up to you though.

Craig Brandenburg said...

Jill, be careful about accusing The Critic of theft. You too may get a knock on your door while writing an entry for A Little Diamond.

Rachel, I'll get cracking on the Dvorak post ... maƱana.

Laura, you temptress, I will not be lured by yours and Jill's offer of easy solutions despite my spatial deficiencies. For now.

Pseudonym-guy-who-maybe-doesn't-want-his-real-name-revealed, Just Enough Craig is written for world domination. The end.