Saturday, April 27, 2019

Reading log, 2018

Not many great books this year, but there were a few. My favorite is Mildred Pierce by James M. Cain. Number two is Into Thin Air, by Jon Krakauer, about climbing Mount Everest.

I also enjoyed the collection of short stories by Ted Chiang, Stories of Your Life and Others. The titular story, “Story of Your Life,” was made into the science fiction movie Arrival, released in 2016.

  • James M. Cain
    Mildred Pierce (1941)
  • Ted Chiang
    Stories of Your Life and Others (2002)
  • Gretchen Bakke
    The Grid: The Fraying Wires Between Americans and Our Energy Future (2016)
  • Ursula K. Le Guin
    A Wizard of Earthsea (1968)
  • Jon Krakauer
    Into Thin Air (1997)
  • James S. A. Corey
    Leviathon Wakes (2011)
  • Elmore Leonard
    Maximum Bob (1991)
  • Lauren Beukes
    Zoo city (2010)
  • Alice Feeney
    Sometimes I Lie (2017)
  • A. J. Finn
    The Woman in the Window (2018)
  • Eric H. Cline
    1177 B.C.: The Year Civilization Collapsed (2014)
  • Michael Lewis
    Moneyball (2003)
  • Devin Murphy
    The Boat Runner (2017)
First time to read author

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsBByTiKfyY

Thank you, greatly appreciated, as always. Another impressive year in reading. Nine new to you authors, good range of decades represented and excellent subject matter diversity. WELL DONE.

A few comments:
1) "Into thin air" was very well written, I enjoyed it enough, years ago, that I then read few more books about climbing, with my favorite being "No Shortcuts to the Top" by Ed Viesturs.
2) Fascinating that you read an Elmore Leonard book, I read a few of his years ago while living in LA after hearing that Hollywood considered him one of the best screen writers ever. I never read "Maximum Bob" though, which I have to think is utterly fantastic.
3) I have added "Mildred Pierce" to my list of books to be read basis your suggestion and the fact that it was written pre-WWII.

If of interest, here is my list from 2018, during which I aspired to read 12 books...

The Tiger: A True Story of Vengeance and Survival" by John Vaillant (2010)*
The Black Stallion by Walter Farley (1941)*
Football Genius by Tim Green (2007)
Football Hero by Tim Green (2008)
The Big Time by Tim Green (2010)
Killing Floor by Lee Child (2010)
Death Merchant, No. 1 by Joseph Rosenberger (1972)*
Pitino: My Story by Rick Pitino (2018)*
Chitty Chitty Bang Bang by Ian Fleming (1964)
Be My Guest by Conrad Hilton (1957)
Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts (2003)*

My favorites of the above were The Black Stallion and Shantaram, with Shantaram in front by a nose...see what I did there? Be My Guest was a reread, as it is a personal favorite and the Tim Green books were read to/with Case, which made them memorable beyond just the fact that they're fun and well written.

As final notes, you'll realize that I read zero Presidents Books, which is pathetic, or rather continues to be so....and that I used an "*" to denote first time for me reading listed author as I can't figure out how to use the cross you have established for the purpose.

Thank you again good Sir and hope you have a fantastic reading year in 2019.

Sincerely,
Former Streaker, now just a nobody

PS Airport Push ups update:
Airport code Total #: Updated 04/30/19
ATL 875
AUS 75
BNA 400
BOS 50
BZN 50
CGI 150
CHS 50
CLT 614
DFW 630
EWR 249
HOU 25
IAH 2,385
LGA 315
MOB 2,535
MSP 50
MWA 75
OMA 115
ORD 25
PNS 25
ROC 25
SAT 555
SAV 405
SEA 25
SLC 441
STL 150
TPA 75
10,369