Monday, May 13, 2013

Crash course

Last Friday morning I crashed my bike on my way to work. I took a route that passes by an apartment complex that Laura and I may move to, thus allowing me to test the new, potential commute. Shortly after having passed by the complex, I easy-pedaled along a winding bike path that runs along the edge of a golf course that had been heavily irrigated that morning. Several puddles had accumulated on the smooth concrete of the path, and after riding through a puddle and getting my tires wet, I leaned into a tight turn in the damp morning shade of a tree and both tires slid out from under my bike. My vision went horizontal and my mouth shouted out an expletive. A fraction of a second later I smacked into the concrete and slid to a stop a few feet away.

The unusual thing about this crash that makes it worth blogging about is that it hurt a lot. After coming to a stop on the pavement, I untangled my legs from the bike and quickly went through my mental post-crash checklist. Is anything in me broken? Are my clothes torn? Is anything on my bike broken? It turned out the only thing that broke was one of the water cages, which snapped after I tried to bend it back into its correct shape. And of course I had the usual scrapes, on my hip and knee, as well as a few unusual scrapes, on my ankle and foot. But nothing in me was broken.

However, my hip ached a lot, and after getting back on the bike and continuing my way to work, I struggled to muster much speed. Partly this was because of the pain and rapid swelling in my hip, but partly it was because I was suddenly spooked by the act of balancing on two wheels, and I involuntarily handled my bike gingerly, even on the dry, debris-free turns. Finally I made it to work and began sticking lots of band-aids on myself. It would take more than forty-eight hours before I would walk without a limp.

Lots of people are afraid of bicycling. What causes that fear? My wife fears the two-wheel balancing act—though to her credit she bikes to her running club most weeks nevertheless—and yet she rarely has any mishaps. Whereas I can think back on a long, hazy history of countless bike crashes, going back to my first year of riding. And always I ended up soon again on the bike, as though I'm unable to connect the painful consequences with the deed. It's a stupidity that I call resiliency, and it's something I'm very proud of, probably much in the same way many lifelong criminals are proud of their resistance to social conditioning.

For the next few weeks I'll have to take care not to fall on my left side. There's still a lot of soreness, and my hip remains swollen enough to have a bit of a feminine look to it. But I've already emotionally forgotten about the crash, and I'm back to leaning into turns and generally biking too aggressively. Seconds, sometimes whole minutes, are at stake.

2 comments:

Bobby and the Presidents said...

I've long felt that slow speed crashes are what cause fear of cycling, much more-so than high speed crashes. This I believe is due to a few factors:

1) Slow speed crashes seem to hurt more, don't they?
2) Like snow skiing or other activities that are best done without excessive caution, high speed wrecks tend to happen so quickly that they're over before you know it -- well, ya know, other than the one's that seriously injury you etc.
3) Maybe slow speed wrecks don't allow for adrenaline to kick in?
4) Maybe inexperienced people are the one's who go slow, so they don't know how to wreck?
5) Maybe I have no real point and just wanted to responde for sake of responding.

Anyway, to breaking down fears and healing wounds...hope you're feeling much better and you can "literally" "utilize" your preferred form of transportation less painfully.

Craig Brandenburg said...

Bobby et al.— One of the least painful crashes I've ever had was my fastest crash, when I crossed wheels in a double paceline and ended up sliding along the pavement at 25+ mph. But my jersey didn't fare well at all.